Saturday 15 November 2014

Finishing the headstock and neck

As this is a wedding present I made their wedding date the serial number


Using a dremel hobby drill I engraved their names into the maple in an American diner font.  It's a little shaky but not bad considering I did it free hand



And then carefully, with a fine brush I painted in some chrome paint.  It looks more like silver but it still pretty against the red background.


Next job is to cut the bone nut that came with neck.  I used a pencil sliced through the middle and run over the frets to work out the string slot height.  I also leveled the frets with an oil stone and re-crowned them with a needle file.

For love nor money I couldn't find a simple chrome truss rod plate so I bought a small off cut of mirror finished stainless steel off eBay.


30 minutes of playing with hacksaw, file and drill and hey presto - one shiny truss rod cover!


No comments:

Post a Comment