Monday 1 December 2014

Nearly there...


Okay, it's all wired up.  I pre-wired it using this ply template which I used on my previous kit builds.  I had hoped to fit push/pull pots on this project too.  The pick ups are 4 wire ones so I could have had split coil or series/parallel switches on them.  However I couldn't fit them into the acoustic chamber with the top glued down so I had to go for the basic standard wiring.

 

I then carefully fed the controls into the body through the bridge pickup cavity.  It was certainly fiddly but not as bad as I was expecting.  It only took about 10 minutes using a long screw driver through the jack socket hole and a pair of angled needle nose pliers through the f-hole.  The wire you can see in the f-hole got tucked up out of sight against the body using double sided tape.


I got the action all set up nicely and playing well but then BOLLOCKS #2 occurred...  The top E string kept jumping out of it's groove on the bridge.  On closer inspection it appeared that I hadn't quite lined up the trapeze tail properly.  I ended up having to carefully drill out the screw holes, fill them with dowels, fix the paintwork, and then carefully re-lined up the tail.  Once this was done the problems was sorted and it plays really well!  The paintwork is a bit patchy at repair site but it's well out of sight unless you specifically look for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment