Saturday 16 August 2014

Cutting the neck socket

Okay, this was a right royal pain in the ass!  First of all as with the acoustic chamber I drilled most of the wood away.  I then managed to securely wedge the neck template at about a 3 degree angle using some of the spruce soundboard off cut and tape however due to me being a skinflint and only having a cheap router the plunge depth lock broke and kept slipping meaning I nearly wrote off the project.
 

After a bit of fannying about with the router I finally managed to get the neck socket cut.  Thankfully I under marked it meaning that when the router slipped and it went too deep I was able to stop it going too deep and writing off the project.
I used a sharp craft knife and cut the neck socket out of the soundboard by hand
Now the neck is fitted I got the exact bridge and pickup positions marked out and the soundboard taped securely to the body.  I will be routing the pickup cavities and drilling the bridge posts before gluing it down to make sure I can sufficiently access the acoustic chamber from the pickup cavity to feed the wiring components through.

No comments:

Post a Comment