Saturday 30 August 2014

Fixing the soundboard to the body and shaping the headstock

Well it's certainly getting there, and this was probably the most nerve wracking bit of the whole project to date - gluing the soundboard to body, there really isn't any going back after this if it's wrong!


Using all the clamps I posses and some bricks to weight it down I glued the soundboard on to the body.


Phew, it's perfect and has a nice acoustic ring when it's tapped, so hopefully this might sound good!  Thankfully I remembered to route the earth wire into the bridge post hole before I glued the top on.


Using a drill mounted drum sander I trimmed the soundboard flush with body and sanded out some of the gouges caused by my wobbly routing, the deeper ones will have to be filled before I apply the finish.


Headstock cut out, I made a paper template and carefully marked out where the tuners will go first.


Off set tuners fitted, I quite like this, it is (as far as I know) a unique  shape which I may adopt to any future project I embark on.


 Bolted the neck on and checked the alignment, seems to be okay

I love these individual neck bolt ferrules, the holes need tidying up and I need to cut the corner off.  I ripped this idea off an old Yamaha RGX that I have, it looks nice and makes accessing the upper frets easier.  I will also be adding a chamfer to the front and back of the cut away.

No comments:

Post a Comment